The Art Theatre originally opened in 1925 as a single screen silent movie house. This vintage movie venue comes complete with an orchestra pit and pipe organ. At the time of its opening, there were over 50 independent theaters in Long Beach, but today the Art Theatre is the last one standing.
After the large earthquake of 1933, the façade of the theatre was recreated in a classic art deco style with a streamlined modern design. The theatre continues to evolve and in 2008, a group of local investors bought the theatre and remodeled it following the 1933 blueprints. Today, the Art is once again a center of Long Beach cinema showing first run and small independent films in a beautiful vintage setting.
General Admission: $12.00
Seniors (60+) and Children (12 & under): $9.00
Students (w/valid ID): $10.00
Matinee (regular showings before 5pm): $10:00
Sun Mar 1 – Thu Mar 5: Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and the Band
Fri Mar 6 – Thu Mar 12: Emma
Every Saturday: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- “The location is fantastic as it is located on Retro Row next to my favorite coffee, restaurants and shops.”
- “Popcorn, snacks, drinks are cheaper than mainstream theaters and conveniently, there’s a wine bar next door!”
- “So many interesting films. And this theater shows the nominated animated selections. Very enjoyable!”
- “The Art Theatre is a quintessential business here in Long Beach. They have been so hospitable to Long Beach Unified School Districts ACT (Adult Community Transition) program. Our students love attending screenings at their theatre and they always welcome them with open arms. Thank you for everything you do for our community!”
- “This place is a little jewel in LB. I have been here quite a bit (on and off for the past 23 years), and always enjoyed the presentation, the ambiance, the friendly staff. They have all kinds of fun events, street parking (there is a pay parking lot in the corner, sometimes it is very hard to find parking on the street), a lot of fun shops around (juice place, coffee shop, restaurants, vintage shops).”
1. The HipPea
Located next to the theater. HipPea is a completely vegan restaurant serving up homemade gluten-free falafel, hummus, fries, Israeli style pita, and gluten-free chickpea cookies. More specifically, HipPea is on a mission to provide Long Beach with fresh and healthy Mediterranean food with everything from the falafel to the sauces made daily in-house. The small restaurant has limited seating, so we recommend ordering to go.
Art Du Vin Wine Bar is next door to the theatre is a tiny wine bar where they’ll keep pouring you wine until you find your perfect selection. It’s described as cute and cozy with fantastic cheese plates to pair with your wine. Art Du Vin is the perfect pre or postgame spot for your next film at The Art Theatre.
Looking for convenient hotel accommodations to experience all the entertainment and activities that Long Beach has to offer? Hotel Current is conveniently located just minutes away from all the action of downtown and surrounding entertainment venues, the airport, and plenty of other attractions. If you’re looking for even more things to do in the LBC, check out our attractions page. Book your local stay with Hotel CURRENT today!