You won’t want to miss out on the 37th production of The Nutcracker from the Long Beach Ballet’s Artistic Director, David Wilcox. We think this year’s performance is the best one yet with a full symphony orchestra, a flying sleigh, an actual horse, pyrotechnics, and a huge cast of over 200. You’ll also love the scenery designed by former Disney set designers Elliot Hessayon and Scott Chaffer, the costumes designed by artist Adrian Clark, special effects by well-known magician Franz Harary, and guest artists in the roles of the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Nutcracker Prince.
History of the Long Beach Ballet Nutcracker
In 1983, David Wilcox took over the production of the first-ever production of the Nutcracker in Long Beach. He then created, from scratch, what is now one of Southern California’s favorite holiday performances. Over the past years, the production has been performed for over half a million people in various theatres across Southern California. In 1996 and 1997, excerpts of the show were even presented live on the “Tonight Show” with Jay Leno. Now the ballet continues to delight viewers to this day.
- “a visionary Nutcracker…Artistic Director David Wilcox’s production, with sets by Elliot Hessayon and Scott Schaffer, costumes by Adrian Clark, and special effects by Franz Harary, enchants children and their parents with spectacle and awe. Deft choreography and stellar performances combine with Tchaikovsky’s memorable score to stage a seasonal triumph of the imagination over darkness.” | Full Article
–James Scarborough, Huffington Post
- “Crammed with special effects, the familiar Long Beach Ballet version of The Nutcracker has nearly everything money can buy. Opulent, family-oriented entertainment. Seek no further.”
–Lewis Segal, Los Angeles Times
- “The Long Beach Ballet’s Artistic Director, David Wilcox, went all out for this production of the classical tale. “The Nutcracker” is one of the most famous ballet’s the world, and one of the best stories ever. The Long Beach Ballet’s display of it is marvelous, and perfect for the kids and family and anyone else. Every kid in the audience loved it!” | Full Article
— Marcin Vasquez, Living Out Loud – Los Angeles
- December 14, 2019 | 2 PM
- December 14, 2019 | 7:30 PM
- December 15, 2019 | 2 PM
- December 20, 2019 | 7:30 PM
- December 21, 2019 | 2 PM
- December 21, 2019 | 7:30 PM
- December 22, 2019 | 2 PM
Click here to buy tickets
Click here to view photos from previous performances
Looking for convenient hotel accommodations for the holiday season in festive Long Beach? Hotel Current is conveniently located just minutes away from all the action of downtown, the airport, and of course the Long Beach Terrace Theater. If you’re looking for even more things to do in the LBC, check out our attractions page. Book your local stay with Hotel CURRENT today!