Long Beach is a coastal city and port in Southern California just 25 miles south of Los Angeles. It’s the seventh-largest city in California with a population of about 470,00 people and is also known as the 39th most populous city in the United States. Furthermore, the port of Long Beach just so happens to be the second busiest container port in the U.S. and is one of the largest in the world. With attractions like The Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific, Museum of Latin American Art, Shoreline Village, and plenty more.
20 Long Beach Fun Facts
1. Long Beach is known as one of the best cities for younger professionals to live in. 17 percent of the people who call Long Beach home are between the ages of 25 and 35.
2. Long Beach is home to the oldest tattoo parlor in the United States, called Outer Limits Tattoo.
3. Long Beach is known as one of the most walkable cities in the United States.
4. The Planet Ocean mural in Long Beach, also known as the Wyland Whale Wall, is the largest in the world according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
5. Long Beach is home to the only off-leash dog-friendly beach in the Los Angeles area.
6. The Long Beach Arena was the original home to the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings.
7. The Long Beach Oil Field used to be one of the world’s most active Oil Operations
8. Long Beach is the birthplace of over 50 Olympic Athletes
9. Long Beach is the birthplace of celebrities like Snoop Dogg, Nicholas Cage, Cameron Diaz, Billy Jean King, Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, Russel Westbrook, Frank Ocean, Juju Smith-Schuster, Vince Staples, Warren G, Ken Block, and plenty more celebrities.
10. Of the 230 most populated cities in the United States, Long Beach is regarded as the second most diverse in the entire county.
11. The annual Belmont Shore Car Show is the biggest single-day car show on the west coast of the United States.
12. Walter Pyramid on the campus of Long Beach State University is one of only three pyramids in the United States and is known as North America’s largest space-frame structure.
13. There are over five miles of pristine beaches in the LBC.
14. More than 5.5 million tourists and conventioneers visit Long Beach each and every year.
15. Long Beach boasts an average of 345 sunny days each and every year.
16. The area that we now know as Long Beach was originally settled as part of a huge Spanish land grant to soldier Manuel Nieto.
17. The Gay Pride Festival in Long Beach is one of the Nation’s largest gay pride events.
18. The Museum of Latin American Art is the Nation’s only museum completely dedicated to Latin American contemporary art.
19. Long Beach is home to its very own Naples Canal where residents can enjoy a romantic and relaxing gondola ride.
20. Long Beach is home to a remarkable seventeen different historical districts.
Looking for convenient hotel accommodations to experience all that Long Beach has to offer? Hotel Current is conveniently located just minutes away from all the action of downtown, the airport, and plenty of other attractions. If you’re looking for even more things to do in the LBC, check out our attractions page. Book your local stay with Hotel CURRENT today!