The Queen Mary is a must-see favorite destination among residents in Long Beach, those who travel from far and of course, Hotel Current guests. As a cornerstone of the Long Beach Community, this attraction should absolutely have a space on anyone’s bucket list.
The long-retired vintage cruise ship offers visitors award-winning food, tours, views, shows, events, and more.
A Rich History of the Queen Mary
In 1929, the Cunard luxury cruise line company started to discuss plans to build a new pair of super ocean liners. The building of the Queen Mary would go on to become a groundbreaking technological achievement. Despite the setback of the Great Depression, the building was completed in 1935 and the revolutionary new ship was adorned with five dining areas, two cocktail bars, swimming pools, a grand ballroom, squash court, and even a small hospital.
May 27, 1936, marked the maiden voyage departing from Southampton England. The Queen Mary quickly became a hit among the elite of the time carrying Hollywood celebrities like Bob Hope and Clark Gable along with dignitaries like Winston Churchill.
When WWII began, the Queen Mary was quickly transformed into a troopship with her amenities stripped and the outside painted a camouflaged grey. It even became the largest and fastest troopship to sail, capable of transporting as many as 16,000 troops at 30 knots.
Once the war was over, The Queen Mary was retrofitted back to its original glory and carried passengers for two more decades.
With air travel becoming more popular in the ’60s, the Cunard Fleet began losing money. The last cruise occurred on October 31, 1967, and the final destination was Long Beach. She has now called Southern California her home ever since.
Things to do at The Queen Mary
- Take a tour: You can explore the ship on your own, but we think a guided tour is well worth the extra cost. You can choose from a variety of tours including The Glory Days Historical Tour and Haunted Encounters, which reveals why the Queen Mary was listed by Time Magazine as one of the Top 10 Most Haunted Places in America.
- Grab some food: Sharing a meal aboard this Long beach landmark is a must. Enjoy classic cocktails with a view at the Observation Bar or fill up on a bowl of chowder at the Chelsea Chowder House & Bar. For the full five-star fine dining experience, look no further than the gourmet menu and wine list at Sir Winston’s Restaurant & Lounge. No Queen Mary dining experience would be complete without joining the locals for the famous Sunday Champagne Brunch.
- See a show: The Queen Mary hosts events and performances all year round with the schedule changing every month. Some highlights include the Ships and Giggles Comedy Night and the Local Band Hangout.
- Stay the night: We don’t think there’s much that beats spending the night at Hotel Current, but staying aboard The Queen Mary is a one of a kind experience. You get to choose a stateroom on one of the three decks above sea level. Larger rooms and suites are also available. Click here for more information on booking a room price points.
- Tie the Knot! The Queen Mary is a popular spot to get married at, as they have been hosting weddings for over 70 years. They have beautiful wedding packages and can to make the celebration perfect and create lasting memories.
- Signature Events The Queen Mary hosts many different amazing events throughout the year, some geared toward the holidays including the Queen Mary Christmas, Chinese New Year Shanghai Nights, and the popular Queen Mark Dark Harbor during Halloween. They also have events including a Waterfront Cookoff with BBQ & beer and a Queensway 5K race.
Queen Mary Contact Information
Location: 1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802
Hours: Check the site for specific hours
Looking for convenient hotel accommodations to experience The Queen Mary and everything Long Beach has to offer? Hotel Current is conveniently located just minutes away from downtown, surrounding entertainment venues, scenic parks, the airport, and plenty of other attractions. If you’re looking for even more things to do in the LBC, check out our attractions page. Book your local stay with Hotel CURRENT today